Sunday, 14 February 2010

"Francesca" (9in x 5.7in, acryllic on cardboard)

Today I painted this picture on cardboard. It is a study based on Frankie Sandford from a British girl group, The Saturdays. It only took me a couple of hours and I am not one hundred percent happy with it. I believe that the nose is slightly too long, which makes her look older than she is. Had I sketched this in pencil first then I would have rectified this small error. However, I find it more challenging not to sketch it in pencil these days. Apart from the flaw with the nose, I believe that I have captured the beauty of her face (albeit I lost some of her cuteness). I wanted to paint Frankie because of her short hairstyle. Although she has never been my favourite member of The Saturdays, painting her made me realise that she has a very classically beautiful face. She has symmetrical and angular features and is potentially a new muse for me.

My main influence at the moment is Roy Lichtenstein. I think that his comic book style art, whilst not expressive, is visually bold. In the past I have tried to draw more from impressionist artists like Monet, having being accused during the past of being nothing more than a draughtsman. In a sense I think that I have regressed over the last couple of months. However, I think changing styles is essential in to my technical development. This is the first time that I have painted anything since December and decided to do something today on a whim because I was bored. I think that this piece is at least good enough to pin up on my wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment