Over the last couple of years, I have been trying different types of Scotch whisky. I was introduced to whisky by the Tan brothers from Australia when they were in the UK in 2008. As the stresses of my job have been piling up I have been drinking a small glass on most nights. The first whisky that I bought for myself last year was a twelve-year Bowmore. This has been my favourite whisky to date. It has a very buttery taste and oily texture. The second whisky that I tried was a twelve-year Glenmorangie. If felt that this had a stronger taste and whilst entirely drinkable was not as nice as the Bowmore. My father bought me a one litre twelve-year Glenfiddich which I polished off in about six to seven weeks, before I purchased a blend for the first time, in the form of a bottle of Famous Grouse. I have learned recently that single malts should be consumed neat and blends on the rocks. I drink both types on the rocks because I feel that a little bit of water to dilute the strength of the flavour makes it that much more palatable to me. I have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label, that I received for free for helping out at a recent trade event, awaiting me when I have finished the Famous Grouse.
Last night I went out with some colleagues from work to a bar called "The Mitre" in Holland Park. It was a trendy bar, which surprised me given its name. When I was told that we were going to this bar for drinks I immediately conjured images in my head of old men with thick white moustaches drinking pints of Newcastle Brown Ale. It was quite the opposite as the place was teeming with young professionals. I wore a white shirt with brown, pink and olive green stripes and matching tie (Red Herring), faded jeans (Levis), chocolate brown belt (Kenneth Cole), chocolate brown pointy shoes (Red Or Dead) and dark brown slim fit blazer (Zara). They had a decent whisky selection and I tried a double Laphroig (strong, smoky and full of flavour) and a few single Glenmorangies. At this point I prefer to drink whisky rather than heavy stouts and beers, both which generally make me bloated and have plenty of calories.
Saturday, 20 March 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment